Pumpkin / manjal poosani (Tamizh) / Mathan (malayalam) is a vine, the fruit is orange in colour. It is rich in anti-oxidant Vitamin-A, minerals etc. It is believed to be very good for prostate problems.
Sharing with you a simple and easy, dry vegetable dish using pumpkin.
- Pumpkin cubes - 1 cup
- Grated coconut - 2 to 3 tbsp
- Coconut Oil - 1 tbsp
- Mustar Seeds - 1 tsp
- Urad dal - 1 tsp
- Hing powder - 1 pinch
- Red chilli - 1 no. cut into two
- curry leaves - 5 nos.
- Turmeric powder - 1/4 tsp
- Sat to taste
- To the pumpkin cubes, add turmeric powder, salt, water and boil till they are tender.
- Drain and keep aside. (you can drink the water like soup, or check out for my forthcoming easy masala daal recipe for which you can use this water)
- Heat oil in a wok, add hing powder (Asafoetida), Mustard seeds, urad dal and let the seed splutter, the urad turn golden brown.
- Add the grated coconut, curry leaves and red chilli and saute till the coconut turns golden brown in colour (this is optional - enhance the flavour. you can just saute it for a minute too & continue the process)
- Add the cooked pumpkin cubes, saute for two to three minutes on low flame.
- Transfer to a serving dish. Declicious, pumpkin vegetable is ready.