Invite you to have a cup of hot & healthy Palak Soup / Spinach Soup.
Spinach / Palak has more nutritional value. Rich in antioxidants which destroys the free radicals and help in cell rejuvenation, Iron, Calcium.
While picking spinach select the one which is fresh, crisp as well as tender. Store them in a vegetable bag in the fridge.
Thoroughly wash it well before you use it for cooking. Cooking time for spinach is less, so you just need to blanch it for 5 to 10 minutes in hot water to retain its nutritional value.
There are variety of dishes prepared using spinach (dry as well as gravies). So here is a healthy reciipe for making soup using spinach.
- Palak leaves - 25-30 nos
- Garlic pods - 2 nos.
- Onion - 1 no. (small)
- Ginger - 1" piece
- roasted Cumin powder - 1 pinch sprinkled for 1 serving
- lemon juice - 1 tbsp (optonal)
- Green chilli -1 no. (spicy variety)
- Cinnamon - 1/2"
- Cloves - 2 nos.
- Olive Oil - 1 tbsp
- salt to taste
- Vegetable stock / water - 2 cups
- Wash & chop the spinach leaves. Boil 2 cups of water / vegetable stock. switch off the stove and put the spinach leaves, keep it covered for 10 min (this is called blanching).
- Peel Onion, wash and chop finely
- Chop ginger and garlic pods
- Drain the spinach and save the stock. Let the leaves cool down.
- Heat oil, add cinnamon & cloves. when it is fried, add onion and saute till it becomes translucent. Add some stock and let it boil for 3 minutes. Remove from fire and let it cool. Drain and remove the cinnamon & cloves and reserve the stock.
- Puree the spinach and onion
- Add the reserved stock, salt and mix well. Heat it and adjust water level as per your preferred consistency.
- Before serving, add few drops of lemon juice (optional) and sprinkle a pinch of jeera powder / cumin powder.
- Healthy cup of yummy spinach/palak soup is ready!