Though I make special dishes for monsoon, I am unable to post them all as many a times I just hurry up with my lunch and then get into the after lunch blissful state
Today made this preparation again exclusively to share with you, controlling my drooling mouth ofcourse! Milagu Kuzhambu / Pepper Sambar.
This is good to be prepared during the winter and monsoon, specially made after the wedding day in marriages called 'kattu choru' - rice parcelled & taken home by the family of the bride as well as the groom as a tradition - a nice recipe to settle the stomach after a nice feast! Or can be prepared when one wish to have, like how I do
A good accompaniment with hot cooked white rice. It can also be taken as a side dish with Dosa, Chapathi too.
- Pepper - 1 tsp
- Black Gram - 1 tsp (urad/ulundu)
- Split Red Gram - 1 tsp (tuvar/arhar)
- Curry Leaves - 8 Nos.
- Tamarind - 1 small lemon size
- Jaggery - 1 tsp
- Salt to taste
- Asafoetida powder - less than 1/4 tsp
- Turmeric powder - 1/4 tsp
- Water - 3 cups
- Gingely Oil - 2 tbsp
- Mustard seeds - 3/4 tsp
- Rice flour - 1 tsp
- Soak Tamarind in hot water for 10 minutes.
- For Roasting masala :-
- Heat a wok, add little Gingely oil, add the peppercorn, curry leaves and Dried Red Chillies, roast them. Transfer to a plate. Now add the black gram (urad) , split red gram (tuvar), fry till they turn golden brown. Add it to the fried pepper mix, allow to cool. Then grind it to a nice powder. This can be kept as a dry powder, or you can add little water and make a paste.
- Extract tamarind water from it twice using 2 cups water.
- Heat a wok, add 2 tbsp gingely oil.Throw in some mustard seeds. Once they complete spluttering, add tamarind water.
- Add turmeric powder, asafoetida powder, Jaggery and Salt. Bring to boil
- Now simmer the flame, add the ground masala powder or paste, mix well.
- Dissolve 1 spoon of rice flour in little water and add it to the boiling gravy to thicken it.
- In slow flame cook this mixture for 5 minutes stirring in between.switch off the flame.
- Check & adjust the seasoning at this stage.
- Yummy & spicy pepper sambar / milagu kuzhambu is ready to be had with hot rice or as an accompaniment to tiffin item like dosa / upma or with chapathis.