A nurtrient legume chundal that supply good amount of energy. The brown variety chickpea is used in the traditional chundal making during navaratri celebrations as it is "desi" / country variety.
You will need :-
- Brown chickpea / channa / kondakadalai - 1 cup
- Salt to taste
- Turmeric powder - a pinch
- Oil for tempering - 2 tbsp
- Mustard seeds - 1 tsp
- Curry leaves - 10 Nos.
- Asafoetida - a pinch
- Green chilli - 2 nos
- Grated Coconut- 3 tbsp
- Dried red chilli
- Soak chickpea for 8 hours or overnight. Adding salt and a pinch of turmeric powder, pressure cook tilll done.
- In a mixer dry grind grated coconut, green chilli and few curry leaves. This is the masala that is going to add taste & flavour to the chundal.
- Heat oil in a wok, add mustard seeds. After they start spluttering, add remaining curry leaves, dried red chilli and asafoetida powder
- Add the cooked chickpeas, ground coconut mixture and mix well. switch off the gas.
- Brown chickpea chundal is ready!
Other sundals that you may like to have a look :-
Sweet Cowpea / karamani / lobia chundal