Idli - is considered to be an healthy breakfast which supplies the required energy to start a day in the form of carbohydrates.
Adding native grains of our country make an oridinary idli into an elated Healthy Idli. Native grains have their own health benefit. our traditional food consisted of this. But after the white rice entered our cuisine, the native grains which are compeltely filled with goodness from mother nature has been pushed to a corner which is noticed only by few. Those few are trying to bring them to the lime light through their innovative recipes.
Sharing with you a one such recipe which includes Ragi and Bajra into this healthy idli making.
- Bajra / Pearl Millet - 1 cup
- Ragi - 1 cup
- Parboiled rice - 3 cup (idli rice)
- Whole Urad / Bengal Gram - 1 cup
- Sago - 2 tbsp
- Fenugreek seeds - 1.5 tsp
- Wash and Soak Bajra, Ragi and rice for 10 hours along with sago and fenugreek seeds
- Wash and Soak urad for one hour
- Drain water from soaked urad
- First in a wet grinder, put the Urad and grind it for 20 to 30 minutes by adding water little by little till it becomes nice & fluffy like butter.
- Transfer the batter to a vessel.
- Now Add the soaked rice+ragi+sago+bajra+fenugreek and grind it to paste by adding water little by little as and when required so that you can easily transfer it to the vessel without dropping.
- when rice is ground, add the already ground Urad & required salt & grind them together for 10 minutes (no need to add water now) so that they get mixed well.
- Transfer it to a bigger vessel and let it ferment for 6 hours or till the batter raise well. If you are leaving it overnight on a hot day, do keep a big eating plate (thali) under the vessel so that in case any spillage happens during fermentation, it will fall into the plate.
- To make idli, to the fermented batter, add required water (slightly more than dropping consistency) and mix well.
- Grease the idli mould, Put the steamer on the stove and let the water inside it boil.
- Now pour a laddle of batter into moulds and steam it for 10 minutes.
- Insert a knife. if it comes out clean, the idli is done!
Eat Healthy, Live Healthy!