This is a southindian masala rice with mixed vegetables viz. Carrot, Beans, Cauliflower, Green Peas, Potato Flavoured by a mixture of Herbs & Spices.
For this recipe, I used Tukda Basmati which though looks small, when cooked looks like long rice and gives out the wonderful aroma of basmati and is also cheaper compared to the normal basmati rice.
- Rice - 2 Tea Cups
- Milk - 2 tea cups
- Water - 2 tea cups
- Curd - 1 tbsp
- Carrot + Beans + Potato + Green Peas= 1 cup
- Onion - 2 Nos
- Tomato - 2 Nos
- Green Chilli - 3 nos.
- Garlic Pods - 8 -10 Nos.
- Ginger - 1" piece
- Bread Slices - 4 Nos. (optional)
- Oil / ghee - 2 tbsp
- Salt to taste
- Bay leaves - 3 nos
- Cloves - 4 Nos
- Cinnamon sticks - 2 nos
- Stone flower - 1 piece
- Saunf / Fennel seeds - 2 tsp
- Turmeric Powder - 1/4 tsp
- Red Chilli Powder - 2 tsp (as you prefer)
- Coriander leaves - 1 handful
- Mint Leaves - 1/2 measure of coriander leaves
- Chop Onion lengthwise
- Dice the vegetables
- Chop coriander & mint leaves
- Chop green chillies & tomatoes finely
- Grate ginger and garlic
- Cut the Bread Slices into small squares
- Wash rice and keep aside
- Heat Oil in a wok, add the Bay Leaves, Cinnamon, Cloves, Stone Flower and Fennel Seeds (saunf).
- After the saunf changes colour slightly, add the Chopped Onion, grated ginger, garlic and greenchillies.
- Fry till onion becomes translucent. Add Tomatoes and cook till they become mushy.
- Add Turmeric Powder and Red Chilli Powder and the chopped vegetables & saute for 2 minutes
- Add the herbs and saute for few seconds
- Add the rice & fry for 3 minutes
- Add curd, water and milk & required salt, mix well.
- Cook using absorbing / drying method, when you see the bubbles coming out of small holes, switch off the stove and keep it covered for 20 minutes.
- Heat a non-stick pan, add very little oil/ghee, put the bread pieces, mix well and roast them in low flame till they become crisp by turning them occassionally.
- Before serving add the roasted bread slices, mix and then serve with Raitha & roasted papad
Tip :- For roasted bread slices, you can also make them crispy using the pop-up toasted and then slightly roast in little ghee for flavour.