Olan is a very simple watery vegetable preparation which can be used as a side dish or can be mixed with rice for a main course if you want keep your cooking simple. Sharing with you the olan that is made using ashgourd (poosani / bhopla / ilavan). Can also be prepared using Pumpkin (parangikai / manjal poosani / kadhdhu)
Ashgourd helps in weight reduction.
- Ashgourd - 1 Cup (sliced)
- cow peas - 1 tbsp (black eyed beans / chawli)
- Salt to taste
- Coconut Oil - 1 tbsp
- Coconu Milk - 2 tbsp
- Sugar - 1/4 tsp
- Green chilli - 2 nos
- Water to cook the vegetable
- Thinly slice the ashgourd, Pour water to cover it.
- Add salt, vertically sliced green chilli, sugar to it and cook
- Pressure cook the cow peas till they become tender
- Add the cooked cow peas to the pumpkin preparation.
- When the pumpkin pieces turn transparent & tender, add coconut oil, coconut milk and mix well. cook for 30 seconds and remove from fire
- Instead of coocnut milk, regular cow milk can also be used but to be added only after removing from fire.
- Instead of adding oil directly, you can heat little oil, add curry leaves and then add it as a tempering to the prepared dish and add the milk.
- you can drink it as soup by without adding or reducing oil & milk.
- If you keep it little thick, use as a side dish, if made watery, use it as a main dish to be eaten with plain rice.
- Adding cow peas is optional