An atomatic coconut milk based dish which goes well with white rice and vellai appam. It is a dish from the God's own country hence cooked using coconut oil. The vegetables that make the dish colourful are Potato, Carrot, French Beans, Green pea (optional). Let us get into the cooking of this wonderful dish which makes you go gastronomic spreading the flavour in the air.
Ingridients : (serves 3)
- Onion - 1 No. (big)
- Potato - 2 nos. (big)
- Carrots - 3 nos. (medium)
- French Beans - 10 nos
- Coconut milk - 3 tbsp (if you use coconut milk powder, then add 3 tbsp powder)
- Salt to taste
- Ginger - 1.5" stick
- Green Chillies - 3 nos (or as you prefer)
- Coconut oil - 2 tbsp
- curry leaves - 5 nos.
- Chop the onions. chop carrot, potato, french beans into an inch long sthick pieces. Finely chop ginger and slit the green chillies (if you love spicy dish, then finely chop them)
- I normally dessed the green chillies hence used 3nos.
- Heat oil in a wok, add finely chopped ginger and green chillies. saute for 30 seconds.
- Add chopped onions, fry till onions become translucent
- add the curry leaves, chopped vegetables, salt and water (4.5 cups)
- mix well, keep it covered and cook till the vegetables become tender. mash few pieces of potatoes to give little thickness to the gravy.
- Add coconut milk, mix well and do not boil for long. Just stir in for a minute, remove from flame.
- If you are using coconut milkpowder then to the powder add warm water, mix well till it becomes creamy, then add it to the vegetable stew, mix well, boil for a minute.
- Aromatic, delicious, colourful vegetable stew (ishtoo) is ready to accompany white rice or Vellai appams.