A simple recipe with the humble Pumpkin / Bhopla / Kadhdhu / Maththan / manjal poosani / parangikai
- Pumpkin - 750 gm
- Coconut Oil - 1 tbsp
- Cumin Seeds - 1/2 tsp
- Garlic pods - 3 nos (big)
- Ginger - 2" piece
- Curry Leaves - 5 nos.
- Dried Red Chilli - 1 No. (pandi mirch)
- Asafoetida powder - 1 pinch
- Turmeric Powder - 1/4 tsp
- Red chilli Powder - 1/2 tsp
- Coriander powder - 1/4 tsp
- Cumin powder - less than 1/4 tsp
- Grated coconut - 1 tbsp (optoinal)
- Salt to taste
- Wash, peel and dice the pumpkin into cubes
- Crush the garlic pods and ginger using a pestle / stone
- Wash and pat dry the curry leaves
- Heat oil in a pan, Add Cumin seeds. when they start splutter, add crushed ginger and garlic, curry leaves and saute till raw smell goes.
- Add a pinch of asafoetida powder, coriander powder and cumin powder, fry for 30 seconds.
- Throw in the pumpkin cubes
- Add Turmeric powder, Red Chilli Powder, Salt. Mix well.
- Keep it covered and cook, Mix in between gently to prevent sticking to the pan.
- When the cubes are tender, add grated coconut at this stage in raw or roasted form. I didn't use coconut today so presented the simplest form of it here :-)
- The subzi is ready to be relished with Chapathi / rice / curd rice