A simple recipe using brown channa (chickpea) which can go well with rice, Chapathi as well as the famous breakfast from God's own coutnry - the 'puttu'.
Brown chickpea is used in this traditional recipe.
I have earlier posted a recipe using coconut. This version is without coconut beautifully infused with the flavour of coriander seeds, roasted cumin and curry leaves.
Things you will need :-
- Brown chick pea - 2 Cups
- Onion - 1 No. big
- Tomato - 1 No. Medium
- Ginger - 1" piece
- Curry leaves - 7 nos.
- Coriander powder - 1.5 tsp
- Roasted cumin powder - 1/2 tsp
- Red chilli powder - 1 tsp (or as per preference)
- Turmeric powder - 1/4 tsp
- Salt to taste
- Oil - 2 tbsp (I used coconut oil as it is a traditional recipe flavoured by it)
- Mustard seeds - 1 tsp
- Soak chickpeas overnight or for 6 hours. Pressure cook adding salt till done
- Finely chop Onions, tomatoes, Ginger
- Heat a oil in a wok, add mustard seeds and let it crackle. Add curry leaves.
- Add onions and ginger. Fry till onions turn translucent.
- Add tomato and fry till it turn mushy
- Add turmeric powder, coriander powder, roasted cumin powder, red chilli powder and fry for 30 seconds.
- Add the water from the cooked channa and add little more water if required.
- Bring to boil
- Now add the cooked channa and let it boil for 5 minutes on low flame (keep it covered with a lid) to let the masal infuse into it. Switch off.
- Check and adjust salt.
- Yummy and simple kadala curry / brown channa masala / brown chickpea curry is ready!