TIPS : cooking with patience & dedication will enhance the flavour & taste of the food. Kheer is one such thing where milk is boiled and reduced in the traditional way though it requires little labour.
|Semiya Paayasam / Seviyan Kheer|
- Milk - 1.5 litres
- Semiya - 1 cup
- Ghee - 1 tbsp
- Cardamom - 3 nos.
- Sugar - 6 laddles
this is the laddle (standard one for serving gravies like sambar) I used to measure the sugar.
- powder the cardamom & keep it aside
- Heat a wok, add ghee and roast the semiya till they turn golden colour.
- Add 3/4th cup of water, a pinch of salt, cover and cook till they are done. (I use drying method & keep them covered for another 10 minutes after I put off the flame).
- Boil milk and reduce it to 3/4th by cooking on slow flame stirring continuously.
- When milk is done, add the boiled semiya and cook for another 5 minutes
- Add the sugar and stir in till it dissolves.
- remove from flame, add the cardamom powder and mix well
- Delicious semiya paaysam is ready
Optional Tips :
- You can fry cashews and raisin in ghee separately till they turn golden in colur and add it last to the kheer / paayasam
- To save your time and labour you can pressure cook the milk for 20 minutes after pressure is built inside, in low flame by putting a heavy spoon or katori (bowl) inside the milk,and continue with the process of adding semiya, sugar and cardamom powder as above.
- Use a wooden spatula to stir the milk which will prevent the sound & scratches to the vessel during that process.